The adventure of participating with the crew unfolds, and each Venturer begins to discover his or her interests and talents. As the Discovery Award recipients develop new skills and competencies, their eyes are opened, and the world expands for them.
Award Focus: Participation
- Small group management skill training
- Earn first-aid and CPR certifications
- Goal setting training
- Time management training
- Minimum of 24 hours of service
- Establish and achieve at least one personal goal, including peer and advisor review
- Participate in at least two Tier II or III adventures at the crew, district, council, area, regional, or national level.
- Complete the following:
- Complete a standard CPR course such as American Red Cross—First Aid/CPR/AED for Schools and the Community or the American Heart Association Heartsaver Pediatric First Aid/CPR/AED or an equivalent course.
- Complete a standard first aid course such as the American Red Cross Standard First Aid or equivalent course.
- Complete the Introduction to Leadership Skills for Crews course (or an equivalent).
- Complete BSA goal setting–time management training course.
- Complete Venturing Crew Officer Orientation.
- Complete a structured personal reflection, and use this reflection and what you learned from the process to prepare for goal setting and as part of your Discovery Award Advisor conference. Explore one of the following areas: Development of Faith, Development of Self, Development of Others.
- In consultation with your Advisor, establish at least one personal goal, and achieve it. The goal should be grounded in the area you explored in Discovery Award Personal Growth requirement 6.
- Participate in service activities totaling at least 24 hours. Up to half of the service may be delivered personally; the rest must be delivered through crew service activities.
Advisor Conference and Board of Review
- Since earning the Venturing Award, participate in a conference with your Advisor.* As a part of this conference, discuss with your Advisor the challenges you faced and what you learned in fulfilling Personal Growth requirements 6 and 7.
- After your Advisor conference, successfully complete a crew board of review.